I worked on some easy doodle hearts this month. I hope you enjoy seeing how it all came together. 💗
Happy Sunday, friends! 😊
Canson 7x 10 inch mix media sketchbook
Micron Pens (various size tips)
Small wooden hearts for tracing
Steps to create
1. Trace heart shapes on your page in a design that you like.
I used small wooden hearts from the craft store for tracing and I overlapped many of the shapes.
2. Add random lines to create small sections in each of the hearts.
It’s best if your pencil marks are light so that erasing later will be easy. My dark lines here were difficult to clean up. I don’t think I will make that mistake again… 😉
3. In each section, drop in a doodle pattern using a pen. There are no rules and no mistakes. You decide what goes where and what size pen you will use.
I have a few books full of zentangle ideas and inspiration. I enjoy selecting which patterns to use and where to place them in my piece. There are lots of resources online where you can find inspiration as well.
4. Continue to fill in more sections. Take your time and enjoy the process.
I usually sit on my bed with a big clip board on my lap to rest my sketch book on while I work. I find it very relaxing to have the television on in the background while I doodle.
For something this large, I will spend a number of evenings working on different sections. I usually limit my time to an hour or so. It is really fun to see it come to life.
I love that doodle sketching is something I can easily pick up and put down. I can work at whatever pace I choose.
5. Final clean up once all sections are filled in
– gently clean up any pencil marks with an eraser
– fill in small lines or areas that need a little more ink
– add a little shading in a few places using a pencil
I love how each piece is so unique and personal. I hope you are inspired to create art and do more of what you love. It is always good to find some time to play.
Until next time, share a smile and doodle on! 😀
Patty Anne 💙
follow me on Instagram @pattyanneart
Patty Anne Art